Saturday, August 20, 2011

today, when we left the city

you were commenting
on the little pieces of life that we see
of the people we pass
while on the overpass
that overlooks the Minneapolis skyline
an obese child was skipping
with ungainly joy
and i don't want to mention the obesity
but it made the gladness of her jumps
so pure

we were leaving
out on the open road
headed west toward the crops
of corn and soy
and soy and corn and corn
the wind had the first coolness of autumn
and the last dampness of summer
it made the skin of my arm
feel like a very soft rubber

when we stopped to hike
we took the overlook trail
the trail that nobody wants
because of the two trails you can take
it is the one that goes on, dead-ending
further up the hill

and it doesn't show
its blooming prairie flowers
until you come out into the sun
and the tall grass and the glacial rocks
the bluestem, the prairie turnip, the worn
out coneflowers and the locust
washed against us like a course dry tongue
where we lay at the top facing straight into sky
and i think it wondered
about this little piece of life that was us
and it seemed glad
to see our joy.

2 Comments:

Blogger April said...

Hi Will,
This is April Walker. From the library.
I just wanted to mention that, firstly, I have been secretly reading your blog from quite some time and find your poetry wonderful, which I hope you consider not creepy.
Secondly, I found this poem especially illuminating. I enjoyed the last lines of the first stanza, which reminded me of something Billy Collins would say, which I hope you take to be a compliment.

9:21 PM  
Blogger will keillor said...

Hi April.

Thanks for the nice comment. It is decidedly not creepy to find my poetry wonderful, and if you want to compare me to any more poets like Billy Collins, please, don't spare my feelings.

I see you've got a blog as well, and look forward to perusing it.

Cheers,

Will

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home