Thursday, August 04, 2011

then, just as quickly as it started

we are all
save me from
the fatalist pronouncements

and then the little raindrops
fell like bells
upon the steeple of our umbrella
and under it the catch of the wind
the belief in flying
a temporary height and the ground seemed
so soft it could only be painted in little daubs
very quickly

and these could be our steps
the way we quickened and laughed
and in that first rain
there is a smell of the air of anything
anything at all at any moment

my pocketed hand
fingering a little scrap of something
some quotidian paper laundered once
or twice, the edge of it
fascinating my fingertips
and then
we were at the door and we flung it open
when you were in I stopped on the threshold
holding the collapsed
black umbrella
I shook it like an old dog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home