Saturday, January 09, 2010

Baptism

My daughters'
baptism day
we get up early, clothe
them in their best
they do not each have
a new white dress
for this, but simply look
at their faces and anyway
you will understand

but how can I understand
this standing in the front of the church
the little one with sopping hair,
the other looking slightly scared
held hovering over the water
as it flashes in the light slanting from the east
windows across the pews

she does not comprehend
and I ask this water
how can I know
this child is safe
how can I know she walks in grace?
and it will simply say
faith
in the name of the Father
faith
and of the Son
faith
and of the Holy Spirit

(and yet I once demanded
what if she doesn't go this way?
the elderly pastor looked away
thinking perhaps of his own
wayward child
and we both know there is no answer
to this thought but tears)

we all rise
give the charge and promise
we will walk beside, board by board
will build this boat,

but if our hearts
could honestly open
even at this moment as we speak this
liturgy we would be dripping
crying like little children
God we promise we will try
not to break your heart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home